A Return to Pandora In 4 years?
According to producer Jon Landau at a recent screening for the 3D re-release of Titanic, Avatar 2 is about four years away and audiences can expect Avatar 3 only a year later since both movies will be filmed back-to-back. That would put Avatar 2 for a 2016 release, but seeing as we’ve just crossed into 2012 it’d be safe to think that it could make a late 2015 release.
Also, though initially announced for a 2013 or 2014 release when news of the sequels was announced, Cameron and company are looking to advance the 3D technology even further with the added years.
For my thoughts on it, hit the break.
Weekend Box Office Estimates
Here are your Top Five Films at the box office for the Weekend of January 6th-8th:
- The Devil Inside - $34.5 m (Opening Weekend) - ($1 m production budget)
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - $20.5 m = $170,201,000 24-Day Total - ($145 m production budget)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - $14.055 m = $157,415,000 24-Day Total
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - $11.3 m = $76,836,000 19-Day Total ($90 m production budget)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - $9.5 m = $111,588,000 24-Day Total ($75 m production budget)
After a year in which box office numbers and theatre attendance were down, 2012 kicked off to a strong start with the year’s first new major entry, The Devil Inside. The quasi-documentary/found footage exorcist film opened up 2012 with an impressive $34.5 million. Despite the strong start, including over $16 million on Friday, it’ll be interesting to see if the film has legs to keep it in the top five for the next few weeks. Either way, Paramount has already made back its money and then some with the film’s reported budget a mere $1 million.
The rest of the top 5 after the break.